3.05.2017

Who am I? Edwin Cleveland Stoddard (Kimball)

Edwin (3) Ruth (18 months)
I carry an old photo around of Ruthie and I.  It was taken not long after our mother Jennie died.  We look so happy for two small children who just buried their mother.  I often wonder,
 "Was I there the day they lowered her casket into the ground?" 
 Late November in Cache County's Logan must have been freezing.  
Ruthie was to little to even grasp that our mama was gone, but me if I close my eyes tightly, I still can hear the melody of her lullaby.  I can't even make out the the words, but I can  feel the melody.

I am Edwin Cleveland Stoddard Jr.  The Jr. to the man I never really knew.  Sure there were summer trips to his new home in Ogden with Edna, but  who am I really?  The boy who hums a lullaby and carries a name with a parentheses (Kimball) or (Stoddard)?

I guess it depends who is writing the name.

No comments:

Post a Comment