3.27.2017

The proposal

Jennie said yes.  I can hardly believe it.  We have set the date for June 24th.  I had to ask permission from her eldest brother, David.  Of course he rehearsed to me the speech which her father might have given had he been alive!  He very emphatically let me know that she was her father's favorite, his pet if you will.  

I tried to remain calm during his dissertation. He insisted I tell him a little bit about "my people".

I recited the following, "
My father, Hyrum Franklin Stoddard was serving as a bishop when he passed away. They say it was the small pox.  My mother was five months shy of giving birth to me.  My grandfather was  Charles Stoddard.  His parents joined the church and then joined the Saints in Illinois where I was born."

 Of course, he reminded me that I was boy who worked on the rail and Jennie of course was the youngest daughter of prominent Logan citizen and pioneer, Thomas X. Smith. "Jennie has been to college," he said. Finally, he shook my hand an offered me his congratulations.

  I smiled and   thanked him wholeheartedly and then ran to find my soon to be bride.   

No comments:

Post a Comment