3.20.2017

Jennie's eyes

Note- I am working on a writing project. This story is based on my great grandparents Edwin and Jennie, but circumstances of their meeting is fictitious.


I saw the girl dancing with the daffodils tonight.  My buddy Art convinced me to check out the Dansante Dance Hall in Logan on one of my rail runs- best decision I ever made- she was there.
She was a "stand out" among the "stand outs."

It was late April and beautiful. The frigid winter temperatures in Logan had delayed the spring blossoms, but tonight the scent of the tulips and daffodils lingered. I loved the smell and the scenery of the evening was even more promising.  She was wearing blue.  I spied her from across the dance floor.  The color of her dress matched her piercing blue eyes.  I was mesmerized.

Silently thinking, "I wish Art were here to dare me to ask her to trade a dance with me."

Suddenly, I decided to dare myself and before I had a second thought I was making my way across the dance floor.  She was in the circle of a group of friends.  Their laughter shook the dance floor.  I directed my gaze to her as the band paused before beginning their next number,
" May I have this dance?"
She responded, "yes, but your name please?"
"Edwin Cleveland Stoddard... and you- you are the girls who dances with the daffodils."
"I thought I recognized you," she replied.
Her bright eyes teased me and suddenly I felt my face grow red.

No comments:

Post a Comment