3.03.2017

Daffodils for Ruthie- day 2 writer's challenge


I remember he brought Ruthie daffodils when he came for us.  Marie and Leo did not open the screen door.
"we've filled for adoption, Ed."  was Marie's blunt greeting.
"we told you we would if you ever tried to come for them."
Edwin replied, "But Edna and I are married."
"She will be around to care for them while I am on the rail."
Leo who had stood silent for so long quietly shook his head no whispering,
"They are ours now Ed."
I remember the twinkle in my father Ed's eye disappearing and the blue color fading to gray.  Suddenly, my once tall father seemed a mere shadow of himself. Then all was silent.

He left the daffodils on the doorstep, and I quickly pretended I had not seen or heard anything from the den where Ruthie and I were playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment