3.12.2017

My long name

The questions began in first grade when Mrs. Haight gave us our penmanship assignment.

"Students, please write your name 10 times, first, last- and middle if you would like."

I sighed and muttered, "Which last name should I write?"

So, I wrote the whole thing.

Ruth Mabel Stoddard (Kimball) Weaver- 20 times.

I knew the question was coming even before Timmy next to me asked in his squeaky little voice,

"Wow, that's a long name and what are those funny half circles?"

I hate this part.  But I did it anyway repeating my rehearsed answer,

" My birth mother Jennie Smith Stoddard and my birth father, Edwin Smith were the parents of my brother Edwin Cleveland Stoddard and me.  Our mother Jennie died during the flu epidemic in 1918.  Because my father Edwin could not care for a nine month old baby and a two and half year old child, we went to live with my mother's sister, Marie Smith Kimball and her husband Leo Kimball who didn't have any children of their own. 

Timmy had already lost interest before I was half through with my answer so I went back to my penmanship assignment. 

"Only five more to go- I hate these parentheses!"

I found this photo on family search- I have never seen my grandmother sign her name this way....

No comments:

Post a Comment