3.22.2017

First Date at the Blue Bird

I looked for the daffodils on 100 East as I approached the Smith home.  Taking the daughter of the late Thomas X. Smith on a date was a little more than intimidating.  

My thoughts drifted,
"What on earth is a poor railway boy from Uintah doing taking out the daughter of one of Logan's Finest citizens?"

My rail stop in Logan wasn't  long, but long enough to grab an ice cream at the Blue Bird.

Jennie bounced out her front door giving a slight wave of the hand to me and then eagerly hooked her arm in mine.  It felt so right having her by my side.  We chatted a bit as we walked to the Blue Bird.  I was a bit of the quiet type, but she made up for the both of us. She told me a little bit about her family, Fannie, David, Eugene, Mabel, Patience, and her favorite, Marie. And then of course she sighed,

"Then there are the other wives and my 17 other siblings." she giggled, "Poor Annie (her mother)!"

This was so different than my upbringing.  I had only Margaret and Hyrum as siblings. Of course,  My father passed away before I was born and my mother remarried so I had a half sister Hazel. But there was no polygamy.


I could feel the sunshine on our backs. I smiled as we opened the door to the Blue Bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment