3.06.2017

My little black steam engine

"Choo, Choo,"  I loved playing with the little black steam engine my father "Ed" gave to when I was just a little boy.  In fact, I carried it for years.  I never let Ruthie play with it.  I wanted just one thing to keep all to myself to remind me that my dad really loved me. He worked for the railway express as a train messenger and baggage man.  In fact, it was the railway that brought he and Jennie, my mother, together.  It was also the railway which kept them a part.  

As I grew older my memories of my father, "Ed" began to fade.  I worked at my dad, Leo's grocery store, Canal Market, on west Center Street, in Logan.  I delivered groceries and cleaned up the store.  Making deliveries was cold, but I enjoyed the work and spending time with my dad... slowly the memories of Edwin began to fade too, but I still played with the little black engine-- choo, choo!

No comments:

Post a Comment