3.10.2017

Daffodils in December?

My eyes, they say I have my father Edwin's eyes-sparkling blue and piercing.  But my mom, Marie, always said I acted like my mother, her sister Jennie.

It is so strange to me that while I never really knew either one of my birth parents, I have always felt this strange closeness to them.  My mom, Marie, said that Jennie was the angel watching over me. Somehow, that was my bridge to heaven and to Jennie.

Daffodils.  Somehow, my father Edwin always managed to have daffodils delivered to me on my birthday.  Strange because there are no daffodils in December.

I remember my mom Marie muttering once,

"The days we buried your mother.  He brought daffodils."

And that was it. That was the only day she ever spoke about my mother's funeral.

Mom was the type of woman who spoke her mind and that mind didn't often change.  She was straightforward, but also loving and caring.  

I didn't dare ask her anything else so I trudged to the Logan library and looked up Daffodils. I found my answer inside a very worn and tattered green book.

"Daffodils symbolize "rebirth" and "new beginnings. "  Given in bunches they mean "Joy and Happiness."  

"I wonder if my father, Edwin, ever gave my mother, Jennie, daffodils?"

No comments:

Post a Comment