11.23.2014

Happy BirthdayLittle Sister


Baby sister came home from the hospital in a stocking.  She was our holiday baby.  That was 1977.  I was three years old.  We nearly lost mom--her stay at the hospital was longer than expected.  Thankfully, baby sister was perfect!  I remember the first time I saw her...She was the first baby I remember seeing.  Her hair was dark and curly, her skin beautiful.  I remember the first time I kissed the top of her forehead.  From that moment, I was her protector- I was the big sister and she was my only baby sister.My first memories of her are of those in our little pink bedroom.  The one the three of us girls shared.  She would bang on her crib in her pink footie pajamas until Wendy and I would give in and let her come sleep with us.  It was a double bed- we three snuggled together.  That was 2nd East in our little red brick house.
  I am sure at one time or another that been my baby sister has not been her favorite calling in life.  I made her hang her clothes up, dress in style complete with matching socks for girls camp- I ran a tight ship, and we shared a bedroom until I was in the 8th grade.  There was even a time she moved up in the attic because she just couldn't take it anymore.  Thankfully, she put up with me.


At the very hardest times of my life, she has hung in there with me even when I made it very clear she was not wanted. She was my life preserver. After each of my babies were born, she would drop in at bed time and help get my "littles" to bed with a bedtime story.  After Rigby's stroke, she would listen to me and give me courage- she was my strength.
 As a kid, she loved dogs- I didn't it.  She would always walk closest to them to ease my fear.  I gave her bloody noses, gave her fashion advice, argued with her, loved her -and simply adored her.  
 She will always be my baby sister.  Some things in life don't change even with age.  
 Baby sister turned 37 yesterday- she has faced her own "Goliaths" in life but continues to triumph.  She is a wonderful wife,  adventurous mother, adorable aunt, and great friend and daughter. 
It is the week of Thanksgiving.... if I listen carefully, I can hear our laughter and the running of our small feet as we make our way down second east from grade school.  We swing open the door to the smell of homemade bread.  We run to the old record player and grab the Christmas records.  We dance for what seems like hours as we officially welcome the holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment