11.26.2014

Giving Thanks for Grandma

I love this picture of my grandmother Lucile in her riding clothes
It is fun to think of her in her younger years.
Grandmothers should own Thanksgiving.  After all, is not grandma the memory keeper.  She passes the traditions, shares the recipes, and hosts the events which become central to grandchildren's collections of memories.

I will be missing my grandmother Lucile tomorrow. It was in her small white framed house that a host of my childhood memories transpired. Most important of these memories was Thanksgiving.

Grandma reserved the finest for this day.  She pulled out her finest linens and china. Throughout her kitchen and living room, she set up tables and chairs to host her growing collection of "blessings"  meaning us.

Grandmother was most stoic.  Her quiet nature called for discipline, refinement and perfection.  This was portrayed through the array of food which she delighted us with on Turkey Day.  

Just the thought of Grandmother's rolls makes my mouth water.  It of course was accompanied by the most beautiful turkey, her famous mashed potatoes and gravy and succulent  side dishes.  And the of course was the grand finale- grandmother's pie.

I cherish that little house with its lace curtains and most of all my grandmother.  

No comments:

Post a Comment