10.29.2014

Mystery of the missing cemetery


Mystery of the missing cemetery....

 I thought I might find my answers here, but now I just have more questions...  After joining the local cemetery moon lit tour last week with my friends, I thought I might be led to the answer- where are the two infants of Andrew and Jane Morgan Patterson buried?
Andrew Patterson.  Andrew Embraced the gospel of Jesus Christ in Scotland joyously as it freed him from the life of a coal miner.  I often wondered how he felt when the prophet Brigham called him back to the mines at Fort Cedar.


 Their parents and my Scottish ancestors,  Andrew and Jane were part of the Iron Mission and they lost two infant children here, Alexzandra Patterson 1854-1854 and Andrew Patterson 1856-1856.


This marker honors those member of Fort Cedar of which Andrew and Jane were a part.  There is also record that Andrew's brother Alexander had a plot at well.  The fort plat of 1853  lists them as property owners within the fort walls.  The fort consisted of 63 acres and 120 lots.  The marker stands on the southwest corner of the fort adjacent to the John D. Lee Gate.
Beaver, Utah cemetery

Further information in regards to Fort Cedar are sparse and details of any cemetery here are nonexistent.  Because their is no record of their burial in the Cedar City cemetery, I was told they must be buried at For Cedar. Interestingly enough, Joseph Chatterly was the first burial in the Cedar City Cemetery was in 1853.  

So where are those babies?  Where is the Cemetery at For Cedar?

No comments:

Post a Comment