10.05.2014

Motherhood

I write stories in my head- all the time...and then I realize the most important story I will ever write is my own- my story of motherhood.  I have five babies now.  Although they range in ages from 16 to 5- to others they are anything but babies,  but to me they will always remain mine.

In my mind's eye, I have the moment of each of their birth's recorded.  I can hear their first cry, smell their first breath, feel that first cuddle- and then that undeniable moment when Rigby and I locked eyes with one another after each one's birth.  His blue eyes piercing my black ones.  The moment we knew that God gave us another gift- a miracle!

I feel so fortunate that I am able to be a "stay at home mom" and even more importantly that I love doing it.  Even if that means getting ordered around by a five year old, handling fashion crises, begging for guitar playing, picking dirty underwear off teenagers' flours, descending the basement to be greeted by the smell of what must be a football locker room, and negotiating with each of them to not forget their daily chores.

I love to have their friends gather in our home, I love to feed their friends,  I love to feed anyone.  I love that I loved teaching 8th graders English 17 years ago, but that I love staying home more.  I love that my children can clean a bathroom, vacuum a floor, mow the lawn, scramble an egg, fold laundry, and empty the dishwasher.

I love that Maleck has memorized the first 4 articles of faith and can recite President Monson's  "Good timber does not grow with ease..." poem by heart,  I love that Emma wants to be a mother when she grows up, that Madsen knows to come home from a party when parents aren't around, that Stockton is gaining a testimony of the atonement, and that Seleck is passionate about preaching the gospel.  

I don't feel bad that I don't hold the priesthood.  I hold motherhood. Travis and I make a great team.  I know that God wanted it that way!
  
Each of our children have a distinct personality, and their own challenges.  It came with them at birth.  Seleck our oldest.  His birth a moment I shall never forget- spiritual- the heavens were there.  He has always been an old soul.  I loved his stage of "big trucks,"  "rrr trucks," and dinosaurs.

Stockton- he could kick a ball before he could walk- his bright blue eyes and blond hair have always attracted attention.  He loved "hangubers" and "smarshmallows"  He is a lover of life, a whistler, a noisemaker.  My sweet, smart, sassy son!

Madsen-  beautiful smile, kind demeanor, helpful heart.  Love the joy his very presence brings.  His pace is slow and creative.  His spirit sensitive.  He has a firm foundation.

Emma- Amazing baby- a welcome disposition after three babies with colic.  She was born on January 17th in 17 minutes, at 3:17 am and weighed in at 7 pounds 13 ounces- Now that's how you make an entrance.  Today she tells me I look pretty, offers me fashion advice, and has more spunk than me....

Maleck- my miracle.  After two difficult miscarriages this baby boy brightened our lives and hearts.  I love it when he says "I want to hold you."  Although most days he bosses me around demanding this or that,  he melts my heart when he spreads his arms out as far as they will go and says, "I love you this much mommy- you are my best friend!"

We don't always have family scripture study, sometimes we forget to have family prayers, but we always love them and love God.  We aren't perfect, but we are perfectly trying!

I tuck them each in every night, tell them I proud of them and that I love them, and then I pray for them and I pray for me.... that I will be a good enough mom- for them... they are our miracle(s) and I guess in a small way I am theirs.  And that's my story- the best story I will ever write.

No comments:

Post a Comment