1.31.2014

Powers to choose- lessons learned from family history

Letters are such a great way to preserve family history.  This letter is from my father-in-law to his children.  He is sharing a story from his grandparents' histories.

My Dear Children,

While I was staying in Salt Lake in a motel last week I found I could not sleep.  I turned on the lamp and began reading my Father's history.  (You may know I am editing these histories and adding info,photos,etc.) I read of things in his life I had forgotten, important things every member of our family should be aware of to strengthen them and give them hope in these troubled times.

Today I would just share two brief experiences I hope you can share with your families.

Before Dad was born in 1910, Grandma and Grandpa Rigby lived in Fairview.   James Moroni was born up the Fairview Canyon.  He farmed for a living.  Before my Dad was born, his James Moroni was called to leave his family and serve a mission to California, Arizona and Nevada.  He either had to travel by foot or by train.  Grandma Rigby not only had to provide for herself and her three children, but she had to support Grandpa on his mission.  She milked the cows, took in washing and thinned beets in the field with a butcher knife.

 

As we consider our blessings today, let us remember the sacrifices of those who have provided this faith and hope and were so faithful in keeping their commitments, covenants and promises.  

One day Grandma received a letter from Grandpa on his mission stating he desperately needed twenty dollars.  Grandma did all she could to put her hands on the needed money but could only raise nineteen dollars.  The three children were playing outside one morning and one came in and called to her and said he had a dollar for her.  "Where did you get that," she asked.  "Some man came riding by on a horse .  He turned around and came back and handed me a dollar and said hand this to your Mother, she needs it."
I desire to have that kind of faith and live so that the Lord will bless my family.

I love each of you and pray for you many times each day.  I know somewhat of the trial you face. It is my prayer we can find strength and purpose in what our fore-bearers have provided for us.

All my love,

Dad
Power to Choose

I Can Become a Builder of the Kingdom of God

“Tabernacles and Temples are built with more than stone and mortar, wood and glass……
They are built with service and sacrifice. 
They are built with trials and testimonies. 
If any within the sound of my voice feel unprepared, even incapable of responding to
 a call to serve, to sacrifice, to bless the lives of others, remember the truth: 
‘Whom God calls, God qualifies.’
He who notes the sparrow’s fall will not abandon the servant’s need.” 
President Thomas S. Monson

No comments:

Post a Comment