7.19.2015

Where I get my courage....


Last week was Scout Camp and Rigby as Stake Young Mens President was over encampment for the entire Stake (150 boys) - a lot of work, but a lot of fun!  For the better part of the week all five of my boys including Maleck were on the Mountain.  Emma, Christina, and I enjoyed a "staycation"  movie dates, dinner dates, the theatre, swimming, and crawdad hunting.  It was a lot of fun.

But Friday, Emma and I took the opportunity to join them at camp.  It was amazing.  
That's when cute 6 year old Maleck inspired me and several young 15 year old boys to go off the ledge--- rappelling.


The kid showed no fear.  He was cool as a cucumber.  What joy it was for me as his mother to see him accomplish such a feat.  There is such freedom in conquering a fear.  I was 13 when I last rappelled- it was at Girl's camp.  Inspired by Maleck and "talked off the ledge" by President Callister, I not only loved my experience, but I can't wait to do it again!

Thanks Maleck for the courage!
Most of my life, I have been captive to "my monster" - Anxiety!  I like many suffer from General Anxiety Disorder or GAD.  It took me 40 years to figure out what was wrong with me.  The discovery and treatment of this illness has been life changing.  For 4 decades it stole my joy.  I was never good enough  for myself no matter what I accomplished.  I was isolated and lonely no matter how many people I was around.  From the outside looking in I looked like I had it all, but the pain was intense. 

I see this "monster" in varying degrees in my children and siblings.  Our brains just work differently and its okay! 


Seleck takes the 90 foot drop like a seasoned veteran!

              Stockton heads down the 50 foot plunge.... that easy?



Three of my boys

Life is about joy, about accomplishing that which we are afraid of, its about trying new things, embracing opportunities, and finding joy in the moment.  Thanks Maleck for helping me find my courage, thanks to my other four boys for cheering me on!

#lovemylife

No comments:

Post a Comment