2.20.2014

To "bug" Love, Jen

Preface: My great grandparents Edwin and Jennie met, courted, and married  during the Great War.  Theirs is a love story not soon to be forgotten.  Edwin was a railway man from Uintah.  Jennie was  the beautiful daughter of prominent Logan  citizen Thomas X. Smith.  As the youngest of Thomas X. Smith's 22 children, Jennie captured the attention of her siblings in every way. She was both smart and beautiful.  Jennie attended Utah State agricultural College for two years in Logan.  At age 22 she married Edwin Cleveland Stoddard on June 24, 1914.


Edwin Cleveland Stoddard- My great grandfather

 September 10, 1914
My Darling Husband,

One of the sweetest letter I ever read came to me this morning and made my heart the happiest and the saddest in the world.  The happiest because I love you the best in the world and the saddest because I am not with you.  Before long dear, I'll be with you and we will again be the happiest in this wide, wide world.  I quite enjoy myself here but nothing like with you.  Do you imagine I could love you more dearly or love another.  I should say not,  I couldn't even let them put their arms about me.  I know you love me as I do you, don't you?

I cried when I read your letter.  I've been sick all day.  of course, dear nothing- serious just natural only it doesn't make me feel very good.  I'm dizzy.  In the morning I'll be all right. 

I'm sorry but pleased you missed me but I dear nothing as I do you.
When shall I the next?  Couldn't you come down Saturday and stay over night?  Try to "bug."  I'm crazy to see you.

I'm getting fat you won't know me Ha! Ha! Nothing like it though after all Edna has a lovely boy with long black hair.  It was born last night at three- Fine isn't it?

If you can come but if not write me I long for you letter.  When I come home I'll talk  you to death.  Write soon to your patiently waiting wife.

Lovingly,
Jen


Ruth Mabel Stoddard (Kimball) with her brother Edwin Stoddard

The letter was post dated October 14, 1918 2 pm Salt Lake City, Utah
R. E.C. Stoddard
C/O Colombia Hospital
Butte, Montana

2nd East  Salt Lake City, Utah
Oct. 13, 1918

My Dear Bug,

No one can tell how I felt when I heard you were ill.  I would give anything if you were here and I could care for you. O. bug!  Why did you g0?  I'm heartsick.  Ever since you left I've been so depressed and felt as if something would happen.  If you were only home.

Dear Bug, don't worry over anything and we will be all right.  Have faith and trust in God and you will get well soon come back to us.  We are lonely without you more so than ever since you were here so long on your vacation.  now that I know you are sick seems as if your spirit walks around.  O Bug: O bug:  get well soon and come back to us.

We are all well Baby cut two more teeth yesterday and is so good.  Cleve asks for "daddy"  all the time.

Let me know everyday as I'm so anxious I can hardly wait. 

With bushels of love and kisses
from babes and myself,
Jen

Epilogue:  On his visit home as mentioned in the above letter, Jennie contracted the flu from Edwin. Jennie's mother Annie was caring for Jennie in Salt Lake during her illness.  Annie went to the drug store for medicine and became confused in her rush and was gone nearly 2 hours.  She returned to find Jennie unconscious(A Brief History of Annie Masters Howe by Mabel Bradford).   

Jennie died on October 23, 1928- less than two weeks from the date the above letter was written.  Edwin was brought via train and then to the hospital on a stretcher to be with Jennie.  I am certain Jennie was grateful to have her "Bug" there.  My grandmother Ruth was only 9 months old and her brother Edwin only 2 1/2 years.   After Edwin's death in 1941, Jennie and Edwin's sealing and endowments were performed for them in the Logan temple. 

Edwin later remarried and Edwin and Ruth were raised and later adopted by Jennie's sister Marie and husband Leo Kimball.


No comments:

Post a Comment