2.07.2014

Love Story at The Brown Derby

 


"There was a dance at the Brown Derby every Saturday night.  In fact, it was here I met my true love.  Every Saturday morning, I'd wake with butterflies in my stomach. (I just knew he would be over) and he (Ora)  never failed me.

We went together for fourteen months, never missing a week, and very often in between. And during the holidays, it was almost every night.

One Saturday night when he came I wasn't in a very good mood.  Anyway, when he left me, it was late.  I just knew I'd ruined things with us, but it wasn't many hours later that Ora showed up at our door in Parowan (Sunday morning).  He showed up at our door with the excuse that he was on his way to cedar.  He went to church with me, and we spent the day together...

When he asked me to marry him, I knew he was the one... We married on my 19th birthday in the Manti temple..." (from the life history of Lucile Evans Hofheins, my maternal grandmother)


*** Whenever the road takes me "home" to Parowan,  my vehicle always seems to find its way to the Brown Derby.  It is there I like to imagine my grandparents, Ora and Lucile.  I listen closely and I hear the music and if I close my eyes tightly, I can see them "cutting a rug."

No comments:

Post a Comment