10.16.2017

A letter to Mi hijo-- recapping a weekend of service and memories

Mi hijo,

Elder Rigby, Seleck, I just got in from my morning run.  I felt like a kid again running through the leaves- I love the sound of the leaves crackling underfoot.  I even paused and grabbed a handful of leaves and threw them up in the air and let them fall on top of me.  The air is fresh and beautiful out,  and I feel refreshed from a wonderful weekend of service and making memories.  

I spent Thursday chasing a story in Leeds at the CCC Camp there.  I loved this wander and enjoyed the solitude as I was not rushed and could wander freely.  I then headed to St. George and enjoyed lunch with cousin Alex Walter.  She is going to spruce up my blog a bit- loved spending time with she and her son Ben!

Friday, I caught up on my mother "To Do's" and dropped by the Color run at the school.  Maleck absolutely loved it! He is the third one out of the gate- finished first overall he said even beat some of the students in the previous classes- our family is not competitive at all are we?


Friday evening we headed to Parowan for some chinese food and a drive down historic Main Street for their annual scarecrow festival.  I absolutely loved it and daddy was kind enough to indulge me and my camera.










Afterwards we headed to Paragonah and the Judd Pumpkin Patch.  It was awesome.  I love the memories we have here with you kids.  I love that Madsen wasn't to cool to hang with us!  Unfortunately, Emma and Stockton had already made plans with friends.


                        My M&M Boys- Maleck and Madsen 


Saturday was a great day.  It began early with a run to the temple from CVMS with Emma's Cross Country team.  I have so loved helping coach these kids this year!  They have truly learned to do hard things- love them all to the moon!





After the team temple run, the young women in our ward made 125 stockings for the homeless children in Iron County School District.  We have 25 more to go.  The Young Men are helping us fill them with Christmas cheer.  I love my young women's calling- the girls are super amazing!  












That evening we threw an end of season party for the cross country runners at the shop and watched the movie Macfarland- It's about a cross Country team in the Spanish community of Macfarland, California- we loved it!

And then of course it was home and off to bed so we could rise and conclude with the grand finale of the weekend....
Meeting this guy- Elder Gabe Najarian.  It was totally the next best thing to hugging you.  We were so sad daddy couldn't be with us because of a speaking engagement and Maleck wanted to stay for the primary program.  Mi hijo, it was totally worth the drive.  We left Cedar City at 9 am and arrived in SLC at 12:30 (we had to be back home by 6:30 for the encampment court of honor).  We listened to his amazing talk (I will send you my notes in a letter) and then spoke with him following the meeting.  We took him an SUU shirt.  We are hoping to recruit him down our way.  He got all teary eyed when he spoke of working with you in Brewster and in Hood River.  Man, he loves you.  He says you are going to be his Best Man at his wedding!  He promised to come see us in CC town- he better.  Dad can't wait to meet him.

So, Seleck, we have a pretty blessed life.  While we are sad you weren't with us, (we always are) we appreciate your sacrifice in serving the Lord.  Although your path is not always easy, this is the place for you right now as you are being tutored by the Lord's hand.  It doesn't matter where you serve mi hijo- just that you do!

I pray you will enjoy the sunshine today in Toppenish.  As always, I am excited to receive your letter.  

Go Speed Mi hijo and remember to laugh along the way!

Love always,
Mama!


No comments:

Post a Comment