2.25.2017

Family history- It's about the dash

VERY cool thing happened today... I had the opportunity to do a  presentation at our stake family Discovery- awesome!  I love sharing my love of family history- it's one of my favorite topics.  I was able to share the story of Edwin Cleveland Stoddard and Jennie Smith.  Their story is so near and dear to my heart.  My presentation was entitled, "Grandpa Great Edwin's Instagram account.  I hope the youth felt inspired as I challenged them to "Discover their story... Share their Joy!"


 As part of the presentation, I challenged the youth to record their own stories and the stories of their ancestors.  I was able to share my blog with them and the stories I share there.  I shared with the the significance of the title of my blog. Barnwood (in honor of my grandfather, Max Dickson Weaver- In April of 2009, I adventured with my grandfather Max Dickson Weaver (then 93) to the Dickson homestead in Richville, Utah (His Grandfather, Albert Douglass Dickson’s farmland).  It was a pilgrimage of sorts. I placed flowers at Albert’s gravesite which overlooks his beautiful land.  I meandered with my grandfather as he shared memories and moments from his life.  He shared stories of strength and faith.  This was my journey.  I lost my grandfather  in October 2012.   He was 95.  Rigby took me back to Richville that November.  I scurried across the locked gate of the Dickson Homestead and took a piece of barn wood.  It stands in the entrance of our home.  It reminds me of my heritage… that I can do hard things.

  Tulips in honor of  Zina Lunt Rigby. She was my husband’s grandmother.  She embodied what a woman should be- refined, feminine, intelligent, hardworking, frugal, wittu and yes fun!  During the last months of her life, every Tuesday I read to her.  Many said what a blessing I was to this sweet woman.  Truthfully, she was mine- she saved me.  After her passing, we journeyed to her home and dug up some tulip bulbs from her landscape where our Five regularly attended with helping hands.  Today, they are planted in our backyard.  Zina’s tulips teach me to learn, to love, and to laugh!
Edwin Clevland Stoddard

Much of Edwin Cleveland Stoddard's life has been a mystery to me.  I  have known his birth date and death date, but I knew nothing about the dash.  So I got to work and went after the "REAL" story.  
Edwin's family- Left to Right- Hazel Rachel Gale, Step sister, Hyrum Franklin Stoddard, Jr., Mothe,r Evangeline Cleveland, My grandfather, Edwin Cleveland Stoddard, Margaret Marian Stoddard

Edwin's children- My grandmother Ruth Mabel Stoddard Kimball Weaver and her brother,  Edwin Cleveland Stoddard


My dad and I at the grave of Edwin's father, Hyrum Franklin Stoddard. I love visiting the graves of my ancestors... it is such a spiritual experience to kneel at their graves and hear their stories- to discover the dash.  


Edwin's wife, my great grandmother, Jennie Smith

 The Research involved in getting to know Edwin was a lot of fun.  We returned to his roots- to the small railway town of Uintah, Utah.   Traces of the Stoddards still remain today.
My Grandparents, Max Dickson Weaver and Ruth Mabel Stoddard (Kimball) Weaver


Edwin's father, Hyrum Franklin Stoddard- he passed away in February and Edwin wasn't born until June

Evangeline Cleveland, Edwin's mother




                                #noemptychairs
The take away from the event was to get to know your "REAL" ancestors and not to just "reel them" because it's about the dash!  When we get to the other side, let's be sure there are NO EMPTY CHAIRS!





No comments:

Post a Comment