2.20.2017

Sometimes the greatest lessons learned are lessons learned from the bench.

Canyon View will face off against Dixie at USU this Thursday and sitting at the far end of the bench will be my son. He will be watching the boys he has played ball with since he was 12 compete at the state tournament. I am not sure how this season would have differed for him if he had not sustained injury after injury all of which led him to surgery, but I do know that when he went down on the court in December, he was the first man off the bench.  My Stockton is a scrapper.
We have experienced all kinds of emotions at our house for close to three months.  A lot of it has not been pleasant, fair, or joyful.  But we have definitely grown- both of us.  I am thankful for that- did I really say that? Ughh growing is exhausting, heart wrenching, and definitely not the easy route. 
I am so proud of Stockton for supporting his teammates, for showing up to every practice, and  for cheering them on,  This has not been easy- watch his buddies hoop it up while he has stumbled with crutches and sported a walking boot most of the time.  At practice he has sat and sat and while they condition he writes the ABC's with his foot for rehab.   We have had some great talks about being grateful for our bodies for  when they work and when they don't.  

These boys are my boys too.  I  have loved watching them play.  I love to see Bubs take it to the hoop, drain a three, or set a play in motion.  Porter kills it in rebounds, and Joe well Joe plays ball with confidence- the same confidence he did when he was 6 and I first met him on the baseball diamond. And then there is "quiet make it happen Abe Huxford."  Truth be told he is the backbone of the team.  Dastrup and Christensen each bring a steady game to the court and round out the trio of Seniors with Huxford.  Sophomore Parry brings his "shot" and adds depth and strength to the Falcons.  Not to forget Scott Sanders who "brings it" with his heart and soul when he steps on the court. But perhaps it is Toby Potter that my admiration is extended to most. Getting on the court for his him is no easy task as he has fought juvenile osteoarthritis and  ulcerative colitis since he was 8.  You wouldn't know it though- the kid always wears a smile.  And last but not least is the team manager, senior, Barlow.  I am grateful to be his "other mother."  He has been raised by some pretty fantastic women.  Barlow is definitely wise beyond his years and possesses an innate sense of survival and a stick to  it attitude.





 What I have learned?  There are all kinds of ways to be on a "team," growth is hard, injuries suck,  really good friends stick around, good coaches are a blessing, be grateful for the "dance" you get, and most of all, there are all kinds of ways to be a mother.  I love the five  children  I have given birth to and I am most grateful for all the other children I get to "mother!"  Good Luck at State! #GoFalcons!

No comments:

Post a Comment