5.10.2015

To my mother, Happy Mother's Day!

There are few photos of me with my mother... this is the first- It is a treasure.  I love the way my mom is looking at me with such joy.  As a mother of 5, I now understand that joy.

I am the sixth of seven children and the the 2nd of 3 girls.  My mother is beyond strong and her patience is practically perfect.  She never seemed to tire and always made home cooked food.   I don't remember her getting mad at me- much!

Mom shared her love of the theater and books, and the written word with me.  The click clack click of her old manual typewriter was my lullaby at night.   Mom sang "Catch a Falling Star" to me and now to my children.  My favorite vacation memory is of mom reading "The Bronze Bow" to us on our trip to Yellowstone.

As a young girl, mom rode the range with her dad, was crowned rodeo Queen, was Miss Betty Crocker,  Graduated from BYU sometimes selling her blood to pay for books, was the editor of the BYU Herald and then taught High School English at Pleasant Grove and then went on to support dad while he worked on his masters at the "U." 

Money was sparse on 2nd East, but my mom made her pennies stretch.  Mom  could feed 7 kids on a single can of tuna, make any owie feel better with a kiss and a band aid and  used her secret tool- a butter knife to fix anything. 

Mom, thanks for showing me that people are more important than things, that family ALWAYS comes first, and that prayers are answered!

 You are my superhero-- 
I love you mom,
Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment