4.27.2015

Monday Memory- Spring lilacs


A Friend knocked on my door last week and surprised me with a beautiful bouquet of fresh lilacs.... in that one instant a flood of childhood memories came rushing back to me.

Life on 2nd East was simple- Cowley drug, fort building, and front yard baseball.  Most of our neighbors were of the "wise" generation which meant we had plenty of grandparents, but few playmates.

Thankfully, we had each other- baseball, fort building and Cowley Drug.  Our baseball diamond was our front yard and the lilac bushes designated a home run.  We played hard ball- no wiffle ball for the Weaver crew.  I wore hand me downs, glasses, and tried to keep up with my four big brothers. My brother Mike always seemed to be the first one to start the game and most likely the first one to call it quits.  Chris was there for the long haul, Cleve assumed the role of coach, umpire and all things "boss," Kim though most often quiet, occasionally participated, but it was big sis Wendy that amazed us all- that girl could play ball.

On a good day, when they were short handed I was invited to play.  I loved those moments when I got to be "one of them."  But with my oldest brother nearly 10 years older than me, I most often played in my fort under the lilac trees.  I loved that fort with the old piece of tin for the outside wall where the lilac branches drooped over.  The fort even had a bed- my brother's flexible flyer.  I passed many summer hours in this fort with baby sister, Heather.  My imagination was my closest friend.  It was "my world" under the lilac bushes.... scents of spring, sunshine, and solitude!

Thanks Taylia for the flowers and the flood of childhood memories you brought with them!



No comments:

Post a Comment