9.29.2013

Santa Clara Swiss Days

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Autumn is magnificent in Utah's Dixie.  I stole an hour and wandered the streets of Historic Santa Clara on the Eve before the celebratory Swiss Days.   It was one of those happy walks.  Usually, I have children walking along my side but today I enjoyed this moment in solitude.  The sights and sounds wrote poetry in my heart as I immersed myself in a history of which my children are the benefactors.
 
 
Smiles rounded out my lips as I enjoyed the cows lining historic main. After all, Happy Cows come from Santa Clara.   These cows are an integral part of Swiss Days.  Swiss Days commemorate the 1861 settlement of Santa Clara.


 




 
 
 
Frei's Fruit Market is the place at which my husband's great grandfather, Leo Reber sold his produce.  He was a master gardener and Santa Clara Native.  He was the son of Frederic and Anna Reber... full blooded Swiss Immigrants who embraced the gospel of Jesus Christ and came to "Zion." 
 

This is the home of Leo and Tessie Reber.  I love to bring my children here so they cannot only see family historic sights but feel the strength of the testimonies of their ancestors who blessed their lives through their sacrifice!


 

 

Santa Clara Granaries – Unsuccessful at raising cattle because they fell prey to the local Paiute Indians, Santa Clara became a produce and peddling center. To store the fruits and vegetables, some homes had roots cellars but most had a separate granary. The granaries look like detached miniature homes and could be found to the rear of almost every house in Santa Clara. While grains were stored in the warmer upper section of the granary, the fruits and vegetables were stored in the basement or ground level where the temperature was cooler. (for more on Santa Clara, visit AliveUtah.com where I share more thoughts on Santa Clara).
 

 

 

This beautiful granary has been transformed into a French Patisserie... I can't wait to go eat here!
 
I must bring my "fab 5"  to Swiss Days next year!  Santa Clara, Barnwood and Tulips... another story of faith and joy!
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment