8.05.2016

For the Love of the Game


They drove 1000 miles to play baseball. There is  something about the summer air and the sound of the bat hitting the ball that is simply intoxicating- for the love of the game.  
You only get some moments once- this is one of those moments- 14 years old and baseball.  These boys come in all shapes, sizes, colors, attitudes personalities, but they all come for the same reason.  It's the chance to get dirt on their cleats, to hear the sound of the ball hit their glove and to know the thrill of turning two... 

I grew up at the baseball park.  It was literally a stone's throw from my backyard.  Life on 2nd was exempt of most pleasures of life, but we had baseball.  I fell asleep to the lullaby of the crickets as the sound of the baseball zinged through the air.  I rarely had 40 cents for my favorite cherry sno cone, but I had baseball.  The love of the game took root in my heart early.

Yesterday a dream of mine came true as I met my first MLB scout, Hank Jones from the Dodger Organization. He approached me and we chatted a bit.  After asking me if I was the team photographer, I replied,  " my husband the coach appointed me to it."  He then introduced himself and I told him that I had just watched "The trouble with the Curve" the night before and he said well, " I'm Clint Eastwood."  We had a chuckle about that one and then he told me of his history with the field we were playing on and his ties to Vancouver.  He was nice and fun to visit with- not pompous.
And then of course I googled him-- my findings left me impressed and even more in love with the game of baseball.... these were my findings-
Hank Jones was a 1972 graduate of Lower Columbia College.  This Kelso Native was a more than impressive slick middle infielder- he had the hands to prove it.  Jones was drafted in the 15th round of the MLB following his Red Devil season.  He played three Season with the Giants organization before  joining, my childhood favorite, the dodgers organization.  He spent four years in the minors before injuries led him to coaching and scouting.

So Hank Jones thanks for visiting with the mama of a ball player.  You know I once played ball myself- in those days we suited up with the boys.  I played for Rotary coached by Southern Utah baseball legend Bill Kringlen.  Hey,  Hank you ought to check out his son, Keaton Kringlen, #17 Louisville Slugger Freshmen, All American, Freshmen of the Year, West Coast Conference.- tell him you are a friend of mine.


A wrap of yesterday's game
The Cedar National 'Boys of summer" took the field against the Washington host team, Vancouver Fort in the Junior League Regional tournament held in Vancouver Washington yesterday, August 4, 2016.  

Cedar National walked away with their 1st "W" beating Washington 15 to 0.  Cedar National is coached by Coby Zobell (manager), Travis Rigby, and Chad Halladay.  Cedar National will face the Oregon State Champions Saturday at 2 pm MST. (juniorregionals.com for a live web feed.)


Josh Macinnis got the team off to an early start defensively. Macinnis struck out 6 batters in the first two innings and allowed only two hits with one walk.

Hayden Zobell pitched only 17 pitches in the next two innings with two strike outs supported by four defensive outs.  Tason Wilcox completed the 4 1/2 inning game with one in field fly and two additional strikeouts.  Caden Jacobs and Tanner Hardin played hard behind the plate.

Macinnis captured the first RBI with a two out double in the first inning. The offensive onslaught was supported by two singles by Cameron Williams, and a single and double by Mike Dailey.  Other players contributing to the run tally were Max Raddatz, Tanner Hardin, Madsen Rigby, Caden Jacobs, Rennen Halladay, and Andrew Whitehair. 


The Cedar National baseball team wishes to thank their home town, Cedar City and its fans for supporting them in their fundraising efforts in getting to Vancouver.  Cedar City is a "baseball town," but more than than that it is a community/family where the needs of its youth are always met.











See you at the ball park, I'll be the one with the cherry sno cone.







2 comments:

  1. So cool! Thanks for the great pictures and game details:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for this useful article. I like it.
    ply games that are unblocked

    ReplyDelete