11.01.2015

"The Potter's Clay"

"But now, O Lord, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand." Isaiah 64:8
 Rigby and I walked with our "youngers" to church this morning.  The autumn air carried with it a sweet memory- the scent of the tree in my grandparents' backyard. Although I don't know the name of the tree, I will never forget its scent.  Immediately, this scent carried me to decades previous- I was watching my grandfather on his potter's wheel under that very tree.  These are memories I shall not forget.
 October 15th marked the anniversary of Grandpa's death- he has been gone for three years now.  I feel him with me as I witness the hand of God's grace in the beauties of my surroundings- Autumn's color, the bare branches of winter, spring lilacs, summer's sunshine.  He saw beauty in everything- and he shared it with us- with everyone!
 Every week as a family, we study one of the most recent conference talks.  Last week, 13 year old Madsen chose the talk by Richard J. Maynes "The Joy of Living a Christ Centered Life.  Of course as Elder Maynes presented the analogy of  Elder Aoba and his pottery making,  I thought of my grandfather, Max Dickson Weaver.  I loved to watch him transform  clay into the most beautiful pottery.  He was a magician.  Elder Maynes' words of keeping the clay in the exact center of the wheel rang true for me. 

 Grandpa was a master potter just as Jesus Christ is the Master of all.  My grandfather loved our Savior. His life exemplified the following words of Elder Maynes, "Our core, the center of our lives, must be Jesus Christ and His gospel.  
Thank you grandpa for following the Savior. You and grandma touched my life daily and continue to do so!  Thank you Elder Maynes for reminding me of my grandfather and the workmanship of his hands.  But most of all, thank you for reminding me to keep my life centered on Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment