11.19.2013

COMING HOME- - a visit to the home of Alberta Anne Ward and Willimam Leonard Evans

 My mother was born in this pioneer home-  the home of her grandfather William Leonard Evans and Alberta Anne Ward.  As a small girl, my mother used to dance on this porch pretending that each pillar was one of her beaus.  Around and around she would twirl from one to the other, and then pausing she would knock on the door and her grandfather would answer, "yes, Lady Astor?"

 We returned here to remember.  It was fun to listen to her recite the stories I have heard countless times.  She even twirled on the porch for me.  She told the stories with a different tone in her voice-- it was joyful and sad.  She is 72 now and with both parents gone and only one uncle remaining- she is left as the storyteller. 

My great grandfather died the year before I was born.  However, I have come to this home often as it has stayed in the Evans family.  Like  my mother,  I also have memories of running in the yard and playing under the trees.  I even remember descending into the old cellar.  These are memories I cherish. 

 The home was built by William Holyoak.  He was Alberta Anne's grandfather.  When it came time to sell, my great grandfather, William, bought it from the Holyoak family.  The boundary on the South side of the home stood near the original Parowan fort wall.  Adjacent to this home, is William's Harness shop  dating to the original fort times as well.  The barn, outhouse, and chicken coop are likewise original to the home as well.


I feel a closeness to these grandparents even though I never met them- they are mine. 

I saw this picture for the first time last week.  It made me weep.  William and Alberta wear youth so beautifully.  Their live were different than mine.  Their parents crossed the plains and were called to come settle in Parowan.  As recipients of that faith, they have passed it to their children, grandchildren and great grandchildren- me.  I can't wait to tell them Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment