4.06.2016

Wednesday Write, to the mothers of boys

Note:  While I don't claim to be a expert in raising boys, I do happen to be the mother to four of them, and I was raised with four brothers.  
Today, I took Stockton to the doctor for his yearly physical. When the doc entered the door, he rubbed his head, smiled and chuckled out loud.  He then shared his laughter with us.  He had Stockton's growth chart in his hands and gave us a few stats--- at age 10 Stockton weighed 68 pounds and was in the 36th percentile.  Today, at age 15 and 11 months he weighs 162 pounds- the 85th percentile.  In 6 years, he has gained 100 pounds.  Can I have a Hallelujah! 

 I remembered.... at 15 months of age a bone scan revealed that Stockton had the bone structure of a 6 month old baby. Shortly after,  on a visit to Primary Children's it took 8 adults to hold him down to draw his blood. Diagnosed with Rickets, he was put on vitamins and slowly but surely he began to gain weight.  This little blond blue eyed babe began to fight. At that point, I never dreamed he would ever be big enough to put on the football field-- but he showed me.
 Stockton has showed me, taught me, loved me, and laughed with and at me. He makes my life fun.

 What I have learned:  Don't be afraid to ask questions and give direct instructions.  It is not uncommon for me to say around the house- "stow the electronics, no alcohol, no drugs, and no looking at naked ladies.  As  a mom of boys, don't be afraid to get in their face about things.  Don't back away from the hard stuff even if at first it is uncomfortable.  Make them accountable, challenge them, expect the best from them.  BUT temper the "in your face" parenting with love, laughter and friendship.  Love them a lot, Hug them  a lot- tease them a lot, play with them a lot, let them tease you a lot.
Make sure your sons' friends know that they are welcome in your home.  FEED THEM!  Talk to them, let them call you mom.  Then, Let your son know when you don't approve of his friends and why.  Open communication is a must.  Stock and I talk a lot at night, we love cooking in the kitchen together, reading together, and shooting hoops together.  Stockton is my friend, but I am his mother first.  On the 22nd of this month Stockton turns 16.  I will celebrate all 162 pounds of Stockton on this day...   and the great blessing it was to bring him to this earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment