4.29.2016

Friday's Find-Horsehoe Mountain Pottery

 I love that my wanders take me on unexpected adventures with destinations unknown.  There is something about waking up in the morning and not knowing where your day will end.
 My adventure in Spring City was to no different.  It was as if a magnet was pulling me to Joe Bennion and Horshoe Mountain Pottery.
 I found Horshoe Mountain pottery on a pamplet at a local visitors' center. I noticed it because my grandfather was a potter.  I had hoped that I might even catch Joe Bennion at the Potter's wheel.
 My meeting Joe Bennion was more than a coincidence.... it was a tender mercy.  Upon walking into Joe's studio, there was an instant connection... and there was.

 I told Joe that my grandfather was a potter and had taught Art at BYU and asked him if he might throw a pot for me.
 Joe asked me who my grandfather was and I told him, "Max Weaver."  He replied, "any kid of Max's is a kid of mine."
 Amazingly enough, Joe had been a student of Max's at BYU years ago.  
 I was mesmerized by Joe's hands as they crafted a pot.  It was incredibly beautiful as his hands turned the potter's wheel.
 my mind traveled to all of the times I had watched my grandfather work his magic on the wheel.  I love those memories and I felt so blessed to watch one of his students do the same.
 I loved meeting Joe Bennion and watching him work.  I love Spring City and my adventure there.  There is a story to be shared everywhere.


 I am not sure my photos do his work justice, but if you are ever in Spring City stop by and take a look for yourself!  

 Thanks Joe Bennion for my moment with you on the potter's wheel.  It will forever be a cherished memory!


































No comments:

Post a Comment