9.08.2015

This is where I wander


 In my head, I have this different life where I simply wander, feel the fresh air on my face and hear the crunch of leaves underfoot.  I wear no watch- carry no cell phone- I have no commitments.  Sounds crazy?  I know especially for a woman who is quickly approaching middle age, has been married 20 years and is simply “in love” with her life.  Everything I dreamed of and wanted has come true (but don’t worry we have had our share of bumps- maybe that is why I know what happy is).


In that other life, perhaps I am an  College English Professor maybe even a lawyer- perhaps a “spy”  I live on Historic Main street in an apartment above the candy store I used to frequent as a kid.  I sit and write for hours- drink hot cocoa, read books, and study poetry.  On weekends, I pick out an old town on the map and with camera in hand I WANDER down dusty roads and explore the local history and nearby canyons of the chosen town.

 It may sound dreamy or maybe even boring to some, but sounds  perfect for a “stop” for me.

   That is my “other life.” However,  My reality is much noisier, more full of service and definitely  full of more hugs and kisses.  Instead of a life defending the constitution, I am a member of the largest children’s advocacy group- the PTA- I am a defender of education.  Instead of a professor, I am a dedicated mother of 5 and put their education very high in my priority list.  Instead of living in a historic apartment above the old candy store, I am the candy store- fresh baked goods are free here. 

 The thrill of a life as a “spy” is led as a weekend genealogist- I will take you down in a five generation pedigree contest.   I don’t have hours to write, but I do get to blog during stolen moments.  Occasionally , I drink hot cocoa on the front porch and read a book.  And I recite and write poetry on my morning runs.    
   And every now and again I get to wander on the weekend with Rigby, our “Fab Five” and my camera- and that is the BEST WANDER  of all!

Scroll down to see the rest of the Barn images from my WANDER






















 Note to reader:  I am a freelance writer for the Southwest magazine Etched.  I have loved being a part of this amazing work for over two years.  Be sure to check out my article "This Old Barn- an American Icon" in the September edition.  The following pictures were taken on my most recent wander to Manti, Utah with my husband and our 5 children in honor of my 41st birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment