9.20.2015

Finding James

James Weaver
July 23, 1815- July 27, 1888


It has been a year since my ancestral adventure with my parents,  and I often reflect the family members "I met" on my journey.  This adventure or pilgrimage changed me...

James was the first of the Weaver line to join the church.  He was born in Herodforshire England.  He was worked as a shoemaker.  He married Elizabeth Gill and they married in Bierley Hill in Stafordshire.  It was in  Smethwick that he and Elizabeth were introduced to the church and baptized changing his life and the course of lives for generations.  James was a leader among the Mormons in England.
I was asked at the most recent family reunion why I went to the the graves... hmm for me it just seemed I owed my ancestors at least a moment of my time- A moment to just stand at their gravesides to pause and to   be still.  For me, it was a moment to essentially honor them and to say thank you.

Graves are a sacred and holy place.  As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, graves are dedicated as the final resting place for the deceased... asking that the ground be hallowed and protected until the day of resurrection.  I felt the sacredness of each of the graves I  visited- it was peaceful and holy- I felt the spirit of the Holy Ghost and a kinship to my ancestor.  Thank you James...love your great, great, great granddaughter!


1 comment:

  1. I love your posts and I always leave your blog edified! THank you for taking the time to research and write! We both share the same love for history and our family's past journey! I feel the same way about visiting cemeteries and gravesides! They are holy places to me! We need to plan a family history trip together!

    ReplyDelete