7.07.2014

Memory Monday- Happy Birthday Wendy

Me and my big sis- 1976
I was born in 1974 on a hot August day.  When my older sister received the news, she ran from house to house on 2nd East announcing that after four brothers, her baby sister had finally arrived.  I will never know what I did on the other side to receive such a blessing as having her as my older sister.  She has remained a constant in my life-- especially when all of my other siblings seemed to be out of patience for me- the spunky, spit- fire younger sister.  But, Wendy always had patience and then some- I guess I was her proving ground ...
Christmas 1990
Last week Wendy turned 44 so today I honor her and wish her Happy Birthday!
Seal Beach family vacation 1989
  I love you Wendy! The stories we share are countless- trying to find Thumper in the Disneyland parking lot, our fight with dish rags, your sharing of your band new clothes ( your closet was my favorite shopping spot),our twinner cars and twinner hair "dos",  your double birdie at Woods Ranch, Your boyfriend that taught me how to do a layup, survival on a dime on 2nd East, paper routes, Christmas trees, ball games, and then of course the watering of flowers on main street.

winter 1990
 You were my fashion consultant, my hair stylist, my mentor.  I learned about boys, and fingernails, and the girls who weren't so nice from you.  I taught you unconditional love- I guess you just didn't know what you were getting when you ran from house to house on that morning in August 1974-- there were my "bad hair" days, my "card table" study days, and then of course the crowning moment... the day  I met your boy friend and future husband  Rick the._________- yep thats what I called him.  But you loved me anyways- you always have!
Yellowstone 1985
 You put my cap on my head when I graduated high school, decorated the entire cultural hall single handed for my wedding reception, returned to put my cap on my head when I graduated college, accepted my collect phone call from Switzerland,  and then in regular "Wendy fashion" left your own crisis to come to my aid in 2009 when Travis had his stroke- I handed you my baby and breathed a great sigh of relief.  You have always been there.  Thank you and Happy Birthday don't seemed quite enough nor will they ever be....
Summer 1978
Wendy, you have the ability to love and to love unconditionally- you have shown  your courage and your ability to triumph in the darkest of hours- you are a fighter- a survivor, but above all you have taught me to dance in the rain!

I love you sis... Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment