7.04.2014

Happy Fourth of July- a letter to my great Uncle Bernell


Dear Uncle Bernell,
As a little girl, I never knew I was in the presence of a hero when we would visit you at Grandfather Evan's home in Parowan.  All those years, I came as a child and I didn't know your story.  To me, you were my grandmother Lucile's baby brother- she loved you and so did my mom.  I could always feel that love there.

Our visits continued, you were always so supportive and kind to our family.  I felt blessed to know one of my "Great" Uncles--- little did I know from where your greatness stemmed.  

And then when I was 19, I had the chance to go to France- to Normandy Beach.  Before going, my mother told me of you-- the day you went there as a soldier on D- Day!  She said you never spoke of it, only that you could still smell the scent of the lilacs as you landed with your comrades.

 So there I was, 19 years old at Normandy- looking out to sea and thinking of you and smelling the lilacs-- I turned my head and saw the rows and rows of white crosses- a miracle you came home- that I ever got to meet you at all...

My visit there was peaceful, beautiful- a spiritual moment.  I offered a prayer of gratitude to the soldiers, their families, to you- my Great Uncle who indeed is truly great!

Thank you Uncle Bernell, for being there that day for preserving our freedom.
Love,
Amyanne

And thanks for the prayers uttered by my great grandfather, my grandmother, and all of you--- may we continue to pray for our soldiers so that they one day can return to share their stories.... so that we can feel of their greatness!

(special thanks to the man penned this talk of my Uncle Bernell  in November 2001 and shared it with all of us- it is priceless to our family!)

No comments:

Post a Comment