5.19.2014

Monday Memory- My grandmother Ruth Mabel Stoddard Kimball Weaver


All month at Barnwood and Tulips- celebrate the Women in your life.  It's Monday Memory again- ready, set, write- share of memory of your grandmother!



Darling little Ruth
Ruth Mabel Stoddard Kimbal Weaver- My Grandmother Ruth remains somewhat of a mystery to me- She died on Friday August 21, 2009- It has been five years.  As I look back now there are so many questions I want to ask her.  Questions that arise as one grows older, questions that my youth did not think to ask.
Ruth as my father remembered her as a young boy
 The following is an email I sent to all of my cousins (grandma and Grandpa had 37 grand kids)just hours I sent after receiving news of her passing- Hey Everyone,  I just wanted to take a moment and share some thoughts about grandma.  Like many of you, received word about grandma this morning.  I knew this moment was coming.  In fact, we had been praying for it in our personal and family prayers.  Yet, I still felt that moment- the moment when you know something is now missing.  I blinked back the tears and headed out the door to go rent a trumpet for my son.   It wan't until later when I was brushing  my Emma's hair that all the memories came flowing back.

So here are a few of my ramblings- Please send me yours....

my earliest memory was triggered by  he act of brushing my daughter's hair.  In a moment's time I was suddenly the little girl getting my hair brushed by my grandma and it was a warm summer's evening.  Grandma was sitting in grandpa Kimball's old lawn chair and she was bathing my foot in the hose as I had just burned it in the bath tub.  She was smiling and sure enough she was giving me a kiss on the "feathers."
Ruth and Max at Utah State University
 Grandma always bought us ice cream sandwiches when she and grandpa came to visit.  It was a luxury to we 7 children.  I never eat an ice cream sandwich now and not think of her.
  Upon Grandma's arrival from Orem to our home, she would come bursting in the door announcing it was time to watch "Luke and Laura" her show.
Grandma would come to my track meets often to watch me.  My favorite memory of this was when she got out of the car on a bitter rainy "spring" day in Northern Utah just to see me throw the javelin.  How many grandmothers would do this?

I loved my time away from the high school scene during track trips when I could escape the hotel to spend the evening with my grandparents.  I loved to just sit and listen to them.  Somehow, I thought I might gain some "wisdom" by osmosis.  But most of all I loved to witness the love they shared.  As I grew older, grandma would give me advice about boys and just being with her calmed me.
Maleck meet his great grandparents- December 2008

I loved that she sang him a lullaby

One of the more humorous memories I have of grandmother was our trip to Great Falls with she and Grandpa to visit Aunt Katherine.  Heather and I were traveling with grandma and grandpa and we got lost in Butte.  Grandma immediately nicknamed Butte the armpit of Montana and provided a rather colorful gesture to a passing car.
Grandma's spaghetti- I can still smell it,  Her visits with grandfather during our Easter break, and I can still her say, "ah, Max" as he created art in the cheerios as she held them each in her lap and sang them a lullaby.

I look at grandma's live and marvel:  The loss of her own mother at 18 months, being raised her aunt and uncle who we know as grandma and grandpa Kimball, being courted by grandfather Weaver during time of little means, being left for two years while grandpa served in WWII.  And then I think of the less known moments that most often accompany any marriage and the rearing of children.  Those moments when you have to dig deep to find strength to hide the tears.  I will be forever grateful to my grandma with the "long name" who was in deed an example of strength.  How I will miss her and how I will try everyday the rest of my life to emulate her.

Two weeks ago, I traveled to Orem to say good-bye to her.  She was sleeping clutching her bear.  I knew it wouldn't be long now.  So, I kissed her on the cheek, told her I loved her, thanked her for being my grandmother, and said good-bye for now.

Saying good-bye to Ruth- grandpa with oldest sons Max Kimball  and Kurt Stoddard- they each bore her name
We then found grandpa at home and I asked him to the tell the story of the "almost first kiss" otherwise known as the bet he lost.  Seleck and Stockton laughed and enjoyed the story. I marveled at him as his eyes still twinkled as he spoke of her.  What love he has for her.  I pray that when Travis and I are in our 90's that he will love me as grandpa loved grandma, but even more so, I pray I will love him as Ruth loved Max.

No comments:

Post a Comment