9.27.2017

Digging in the dirt with the daffodils- For Amy

I received a surprise package in the mail last week from amazon- Daffodil bulbs.  Shortly thereafter, I read a text from my best friend in college, Amy, with the following note and poem by William Wordsworth
"I hope you may be blessed with many "fields of dancing daffodils" that will feel your heart with pleasure."



I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud 

I wandered lonely as a cloud 
That floats on high o'er vales and hills, 
When all at once I saw a crowd, 
A host, of golden daffodils; 
Beside the lake, beneath the trees, 
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze. 

Continuous as the stars that shine 
And twinkle on the milky way, 
They stretched in never-ending line 
Along the margin of a bay: 
Ten thousand saw I at a glance, 
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance. 

The waves beside them danced; but they 
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee: 
A poet could not but be gay, 
In such a jocund company: 
I gazed—and gazed—but little thought 
What wealth the show to me had brought: 

For oft, when on my couch I lie 
In vacant or in pensive mood, 
They flash upon that inward eye 
Which is the bliss of solitude; 
And then my heart with pleasure fills, 
And dances with the daffodils. 

 So I took to my backyard garden box and cleaned up the lingering summer squash plant and prepped it for daffodils. The whole time I was thinking, "I can't wait to see these daffodils dance!"
 While I am not known for my green thumb, google assured me that it was easy.  So I followed the four step process which concluded with a good soak of the bulbs and then I smiled- I only hope that come spring they will be smiling back at me.
The old saying "the best friends" are old friends holds steadfast in my heart.  Amy and I were English majors at SUU together.  We braved the classes of Moorty, Aton and Simon, and relished the lectures by Lee and Cook.  She was, is and, will forever be a blessing to my life.  The day the daffodils arrived was an answer to prayer from my friend on the other side of the country who is strong, and brave, and faithful- and is my forever friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment