10.13.2016

He never wanted to be quarterback



 I have had the rare opportunity and privilege to be on the sidelines this year as #19 takes position at QB. Stockton was perfectly happy playing safety and wide receiver for the majority of his young football career, but the team needed him elsewhere.
 So he stood up and took the challenge.  It meant giving up time on the diamond, on the mountains hunting, and the carefree spirit he once had.  

 I know when Stockton stops whistling something has changed.  This season has not been easy.  He has battled against shingles, a sprained ankle, keeping his grades up, and making good choices both on and off the field.  I sat up with him during two long nights as he fought the pain of shingles much like I did when he was 9 months old with the chicken pox.  I have hounded him for his grades- he is not a C student.  I have prayed endlessly for him and his wise decision making. I have changed ice packs and handed out ibuprofen, done his laundry and fed him both tirelessly and endlessly.  
 His fluid nature as an athlete are impressive and innate.  You won't see me posting his stats- I'm not sure they are any good, but you will see me on the sidelines praying for his success and his safety as I tote my camera.
 I have learned a lot about the game of football this season.  I have felt the rhythm of this competition and the absolute exact precision it requires from each player to execute both offense and defense successfully.  Football to me is coreography at its best.  I love the way the Falcons take care of each other on the field.  
           I love the way they take care of their quarter back.
 Football is an art, it is beautiful, it has its own melody- I'm just grateful that I have had the chance to experience the "Friday night lights."
 Thanks Stockton for teaching me about perseverance... about what it means to get tackled and to get back up again and again and again.  Because football is not for the faint of heart, but I guess then neither is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment