1.13.2016

Vintage find.... Solve this mystery

 When my grandfather Weaver passed away, my parents, knowing my love for family history and antiques presented me with this "jewel."  These glasses were hidden away in a chest with no explanation... at all.  

 This year, for Christmas Rigby had the glasses framed with its case for me.  It truly is my Christmas treasure. After searching family photographs, I believe they belonged to my grandfather Weaver's maternal grandmother, Harriet Rosella Flint (1861-1923).  

The gold glasses have oval lenses, a scroll bridge, and curled temples all consistent with  mid 19th century spectacles and Harriet's lifespan.   
It is such a joy for me to have in my possession these glasses.  I have always felt such connection to her and somehow by having her glasses on display on my grandmother Weaver's desk I feel I can see more "clearly."

The last treasured photograph of the entire Dickson family



In the fall of 1918, the Spanish Influenza had swept across America leaving rows and rows of caskets.  The little community of Richville, Utah was no different.  And the Dickson family- two caskets came home to Harriet.  The bodies of her  of her sons in uniform Jared and Abel.  She herself had succumbed to the epidemic and was to ill to attend  Abel's funeral.   I can only imagine her grief in those lonely sleepless hours. 


Harriet's mother, Mary Jane Goodridge, crossed the plains in the Wilford Woodruff company.  She was baptized in the Platter river with her father and brother.  Harriet was blessed with the faith of her mother- this faith continues to bless Harriet's heritage today!  Because of her faith, her descendants all "see" a little better today.

No comments:

Post a Comment