6.09.2014

Monday Memory- Why Barnwood?

Dickson Homestead, Richville Utah
 In the spring of 2010, I took a pilgrimage of sorts to discover my roots with my then 93 year old grandfather, Max Dickson Weaver.  This journey led me to the path that I knew I must take.  We returned to the land of his grandparents, Albert Douglass Dickson and Harriet Rosella Flint.  The home where his mother was raised and where he gathered often with his Dickson cousins- Richville Utah- The Dickson homestead.  It was a most sacred experience to me- an experience that has not left me.
Albert Douglass Dickson's grave overlooks the land his beautiful farmland
 We knelt at the graves of his grandparents, Harriet and Albert and great grandparents, Mary Ann Stoddard and Billa Dickson.  These were my ancestors that had sacrificed much as they embraced the gospel of Jesus Christ.  This sacrifice has blessed my life endlessly.  Their faith has bolstered my own!

 How proud I am of my lineage. How grateful I am to have stood at the graves of these dear pioneers who came to the land of Zion so that I might enjoy the fruits of their labors!
We stopped at the old barbershop on Main Street in Richville where Grandpa's cousin Paul cut his hair
 Grandpa told story after story of his boyhood experiences here- his eyes swelled with tears of memories and of moments with loved ones now gone.  I cherished this time with my grandfather.  This journey changed my life.  I guess if I could have one more day with him- it would be this one!

Porterville, Utah cemetary
 Porterville, Utah is near the small community of Richville.  The cemetery is on the top of the mountain.  The view- incredible.  I remembered grandpa found the graves of his great grandparents with ease- his footsteps were slow and thoughtful.  I observed with great interest and admiration.


And then we hit the jackpot- the old tabernacle where Albert Douglass Dickson served for years as Bishop.  Only the skeleton of the former building remains, but the edifice is nonetheless beautiful.  I imagined my great, great grandfather Dickson here and the years of service he rendered.  This picture still gives me chills!
Porterville tabernacle

I saved the best for last- the Dickson Barn- more than a century has passed and this land and this barn has witnessed the strength and the fortitude of the Dickson clan.  A treasury of great faith- a tradition of love!
Barnwood!

Happy Father's Day- Grandpa!

And that's where the barnwood comes from- Barnwood and Tulips

2 comments:

  1. Max was my Dad's cousin and he was in the room when Harriet Rosella Flint died. He talked about how he remembered her hair draping down the side of the bed. He was the last Dickson grandchild living who actually met his grandmother.

    What a talented and kind person your Grandpa Max was.

    Thank you for sharing these memories.

    Julie Dickson Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!- I loved my grandpa very much! Bye the way how did you find my blog?

    ReplyDelete