6.22.2013

I see the moon in full view tonight as the echo of the click clack of the keyboard leads my fingers to create these words and then the words become sentences.  It's funny how the moon can make you feel so small and insignificant but then in another sense so close to God.  There is only a slight breeze out tonight and the hum of the sprinklers fills my ears. I miss the lullaby of the crickets as they so often sang me to sleep in my little pink bedroom on second east. I remember lots of things....

Today the kids worked hard at the car wash and the office catching up on their missed chores from a busy week of ball playing.  Then this afternoon Rigby and I took them for ice cream and then swimming-- simple treasures of summer.  We even took a moment for a drive up the canyon in our '71 Chevy.   He found the perfect spot by a makeshift waterfall.  We put down the tailgate and enjoyed dinner that we had picked up at the latest BBQ restaurant in town.   We listened to the sound of the rushing water and were happy for a quiet moment together... another summer treasure.

The bright moon reminded me of a piece I wrote years ago.  In fact, it was February 22, 1995- the Day Rigby then Elder Rigby returned home from serving an LDS mission in Denmark

Sunset
I feel closest to Him at this time of day.
When the sun has dipped behind the distant hills
leaving only its echo- a memory painted in brilliant colors.
Another day has tiptoed from our lives,
Its ending is marked by the sun's exit
Leaving me reminiscent of those I've met,
lands I've crossed; thing I've done,
They all now are my shadows which voyage with me each day,
Giving light to my soul.

Our lives are constantly stretching for another horizon,
in which we can produce minute masterpieces.
We have become our experiences.
He, our creator designed it as such.
Each day is a yesterday; each tomorrow, a today.
And with our faith before us,
and the strength of the Almighty behind us,
We reach for the sunset in hopes to 
RETURN WITH HONOR! 

No comments:

Post a Comment