9.01.2017

Football Friday

Rigby and I are putting Stockton on the field this year with literally a $10,000 ankle--- the rest of the story is yet to be told.
Stockton take down his man 
 You won't find #19 at quarterback this year.  In Fact, you won't find #19 on the field for the Falcons this fall.  Stockton opted to take the jersey of his older brother Seleck, #35 this season.  Lots of changes this season for Stockton. 

Seleck was never the athlete Stockton is, but he embodied dedication, passion, and hard work.  I think Stockton has grown to understand and appreciate Seleck on a whole new level since he entered the mission field for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints!

 In addition, Stockton is not playing Quarterback where he has been for the past two seasons.  
 Why?  In January, Stockton had a fibrous coalition removed from his left ankle (a birth defect).  Essentially, Dr. Reber chiseled and sawed a bone out our son's foot- Yuck.  Nope, this injury wasn't caused by football but the symptoms were accelerated by it. 

 Hoping to give Stockton his senior year as an athlete, he went under the knife.  It has been a HARD 8 months since the surgery and the 11/2 years prior to it were filled with chronic pain (due to an ankle fracture during his Sophomore year). Stockton doesn't not have the lateral movement back in his feet yet to play quarterback.  He can't cut and  it wasn't until August 1st that we dared put pads on him. But he took the field and as Stockton describes it, "he lit up a few guys.  In that moment I felt so much joy for our Stockton. 

 He takes the field at Strong Safety.  He plays for his team. These were not the conditions he hoped he would be experiencing as a senior, but you know what he is just happy to be on the field. 
As the CVHS Student body president Seleck led the way to put the CV on the hill
For years, I followed numbers 55, 44, and 41 (the numbers of my older brothers).  We breathed football deep into our bones. I am probably one of very few wives who after a few months of marriage asked her husband to turn on football on after getting home from church- it just made me feel at home.

But  I never planned on having football players.  I assumed they would be runners like their dad.  But in 2nd grade Seleck demanded to play football and his brother followed suit.  

I love the palpable feeling of competition.  I grew up a competitor.  It is in my "blood" as they say. The Friday night lights will always call me home- the boys of fall.  I will forever look for numbers 22, 19 and always 35 on the field they are my boys- my two boys born on April 22nd just two years apart.

Stockton- we are so proud of you.  Thanks for letting me join the sideline with my camera over the years- I love the sound of football and it will forever remind me of you. You are THE embodiment of a BIG TOUGH FALCON

No comments:

Post a Comment