7.21.2017

"Almost" ready to ride with the New Harmony Cowboy



It has been a long time since I was on my grandpa Ora's horse Kamanche.   Funny to most, but the smell of manure comforts me.  I can still see grandpa's hat resting on grandma's kitchen table and his boots covered in manure at the back door.  Wish I could have those moments back.  But Grandpa has been gone a long time now and Kamanche even longer.

Thursday morning after running with my little Middle School Cross Country team,  I headed to Scout Camp "encampment" for the entire stake at Deer Haven up Cedar Canyon.  Rigby was in charge of the week long adventure and it had been months in the making.  I was excited to see him and take some photos of  Scout Adventures.
 One of my favorite cowboys Austin Adams was there helping Richie Stubbs with the horsemanship merit badge.  It was quite a sight to see all these boys "off line" and having the opportunity to ride a horse for the first time.  What a gift Richie was giving to them.

  Not wanting to be left out, I took a turn.  It's funny how when I mounted the horse my grandpa's words of directions came rushing back to me (how to hold the reins, when to give the horse a little kick etc.). I wish I could of had a longer ride, but the just the "taste" of being on a horse was a gift!






 I was grateful three of our boys had the chance to ride as well.  Riding for Stockton was a little bit of therapy.  Since ankle surgery in January, times have been tough.  Football season is quickly approaching and I am just not sure if this QB will be on the field.  Maybe I will be sending him to the New Harmony Cowboy for a few rides- this mama is a little emotionally exhausted.

 Our Madsen loved the experience.  Not sure he has ridden more than a few times at the Lucky 7 Ranch with his Walter cousins.  He made it to scout camp after four days at the Dixie State Leadership Camp.



 A big shout out to Ashton and Jewkes for getting our baby boy Maleck in the saddle.  The rest of us prodded and begged, but it just took them once asking and he was in the saddle.  When I asked him why he did it for them and not me he said, "because they are my friends."  That says a lot about these two boys who are four years older than Maleck, but he calls them "his Friends."
 I loved how  Richie Stubbs shared his great love with a bunch of boys-  now if we could just get them to follow the Cowboy Commandments- I think the combination of the Scout Oath and the Cowboy Commandments just might save this generation.  And of course the "big guy" upstairs!


 Loved my afternoon ride in the meadow and my moments in the saddle!



 And who knows Mr. Prince, maybe my cowboy grandpa genes have found a home in this one


No comments:

Post a Comment