3.16.2014

Barnwood and Tulips enjoys Little Women, a Little Musical

 Saturday afternoon found my daughter Emma and I enjoying "Little Women, A little Musical' with grandma Rigby.  It was an absolute delight!  Presented at Brigham's Playhouse in Washington, Utah  this version of Louisa May Alcott's  beloved Little Women was written by Jay Richards and directed by James Brigham Young (Jamie).  The play runs through March 29th,  Tuesday-Saturday at 7:30 p.m. with a Saturday matinee at 2:30 p.m.
 Kylee Ogzewalla captured the very essence of "Jo March."  I of course was particularly drawn to her as I have identified with Alcott's"Jo" from the moment I turned the first pages of L:ittle Women.  Of course, I found myself hoping that Laurie and Jo  might  marry in this version.  But then, it wouldn't be "Alcott" if they did. 
My sweet nine year old Emma giggled aloud as the play transpired.  I loved that she enjoyed her theatre experience.  But what is there not to enjoy?  The cast is simply endearing and "Brigham's Playhouse" takes you back as if you were seeing the play with Brigham himself.


On a side note:  Tennyson said it best, "I am a part of all which I have met."  Thanks Tennyson!  I know I am.  My grandfather Hofheins was a farmer, my grandfather Weaver a landscape artist and craftsman,  my grandma Weaver  an educator,  my grandma Hofheins a culinary artist, my father in law a musician, my mother in law  a lover of history and travel,  my father a social worker and BYU fan ,  and my mother a theatre major at BYU.  As a result, I am a "Kaleidoscope" of experiences.  In fact, at age seven I made my first and last appearance  on stage.  My mother was the high school theatre director and I was the 7 year old girl who said in "Thunder on Sycamore Street's" opening lines, "I WAS FOLLOWING A DOG!"  Wow, it was amazing!


Nestled in the very heart of Cotton Town Village, Brigham's Playhouse is next to the Red Barn. And of course there is an antique store that will warrant a visit.   In fact, I can't wait to go back.  Lucky for me,  Annie is the next upcoming performance April 4-May 17.

Barnwood and Tulips will definitely be back to Brigham's Playhouse.  Put it on your bucket list too.  And from the words of the Director, "...May I give you something?  May I give you the gift of the theatre- the gift of seeing, feeling, and understanding life through symbols and metaphors and stories?  May I tell you a story or two?  May I give you a song, a dance, a laugh a cry?  May I give you an uplifting  experience?  Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Brigham's playhouse and all that we offer.  Welcome to the family!"

No comments:

Post a Comment