5.15.2017

The New Harmony Cowboy


I must have been 6 or 7 the day grandpa asked  me to join his "crew."  I was terrified.  Grandpa and the boys were herding the cattle into the corrals and he positioned me at a cut off point and told me not to move.  "They are just as much afraid of you as you are of them," grandpa said.  And so I stood there as they came towards me with their tongues hanging from their mouths like red pieces of licorice.  I did my job.


That experience was years ago- late ' 70's.  Then the 80's came and hit the farm hard, grandpa got caught in a post hole digger and nearly lost his life, and my uncle's dreams were big- we lost the farm and with it a generation of cowboys that would never be.

 Spending an afternoon with instagram sensation, New Harmony Cowboy, Brent Prince was like coming home.  Thankfully, my editor and mentor, Darci Hansen gave me the chance of a lifetime.  As a writer, I get to live all kinds of lives.  And my life as a "cowgirl," was a surreal experience (follow Etched on Facebook and Instagram or subscribe today). 
 Brent took Darci and I on a tour of "his cowboy story" beginning with his roots at the New Harmony cemetery.   Since I am a "grave whisperer" I felt right at home. Brent's stories of his ancestors were awe inspiring.  He knows his roots. I have deep respect for those who honor and cherish their roots.  Brent led the project of the upkeep and preservation of this pioneer cemetery.

 The view from the cemetery  is amazing- the Five Fingers of Kolob- mesmerizing.  
 I loved the tour Brent gave of New Harmony and his properties.  It's a treasure to find someone who embraces his past and from it mold his future.  Brent Prince is the very definition of a cowboy.

The Code Brent lives by...
Cowboy Code

Live each day with courage.

Take pride in your work
.
Always finish what you start.
Do what has to be done.
Be tough, but fair.
When you make a promise keep it.
Ride for the brand
Talk less and say more.
Remember that some things aren’t for sale.

Know where to draw the line.”


Brent doesn’t have a favorite part of being a cowboy. He loves it all.  He loves the culture of dress- a cowboy hat, boots, silver buckle, and bandana; he has always been proud to wear a cowboy hat because of what it symbolizes. Brent shares a little cowboy wisdom, “A hat reflects character and the character who shaped it.” He loves riding with a crew that works for a dime and smiles while they do it. 



COWBOY is Brent’s religion.  By day, He is “Cowboy Cool” 5th grade teacher.  He teaches in his cowboy hat and cowboy boots.  
By weekend Brent lives his Cowboy Dream.  He takes to the Harmony hills in the frosted morning air answering the call of the cattle on dusty trails surrounded by sage brush in his worn saddle and his black Resistol cowboy hat that fits like a glove.  It is on the weekends the local cowboy crew gathers to work on different ranches. Cowboy work on a ranch is never done; it cycles with the rhythm of the seasons- spring, summer, winter, and fall.  Together the crew sorts and drives the cattle, earmarks and brands them, ropes them, and drags them to be doctored. They also castrate, dehorn and delice the cattle. On hot summer days, this cowboy crew hauls water to the cattle on Bumblebee not just once but several times. It is always more than a full day’s work and this cowboy crew never expects a paycheck.  



Tradition. The tradition of the cowboy is who Brent is.  Brent often says, “When you stop being who you are- who the hell are you?”  With Brent, what you see is what you get.  Brent has learned that moments matter more than money and time with family and friends is priceless.  He values honest people, loyalty, a strong work ethic, and heritage. He treasures colorful sunrises over the Kolobs, young colts running in the green spring grass, the clear spring runoff from Pine Valley flowing through the hayfield, the loyalty of a cow and love and the protection she offers her calf, and the smell of blue branding smoke. 



This New Harmony Cowboy will forever cherish three brands:His father, Darce Prince’s, A T quarter circle, His Grandpa Pace’s lazy H, and his Grandpa Prince’s  backwards L with an M.

Nope, the American Cowboy is not dead, not as long as Brent Prince is still kickin’ in the New Harmony Hills.


I had never met those Brent calls "family" but they immediately welcomed me to their campfire and shared their amazing food and friendship with me.  

We ended our night around the campfire listening to live country music strummed on guitars by Chris Petersen (diehardcowboy), Josh Dettamanti, and Carin Mari.  






Yep, I found the New Harmony Cowboy- he is the real deal, and I found real cowboys, but importantly I found a new friend!  Thanks Brent Prince for the "ride!"

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for you blog about coming to New Harmony. It was a pleasure to spend some time with you. You are always welcome to come and visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brent is a true cowboy! I have know him most all my life. A good man. A true friend.

    ReplyDelete