2.16.2017

Sunshine- Thursday musings

Just to feel the sun on my cheeks lifts my spirits as my feet hit the pavement, there could be no greater joy or therapy.  Sunshine in February is a special treat in my southern Utah Town.  Its effects are as intoxicating as chocolate.

The winter clouds have long sought to strangle my mood and I have almost been defeated, but not today.  I lengthen my stride and let my thoughts wander.  I consider the tasks of the days, the burdens I need help lifting and the joy of my family and my faith. While it will last only 30 minutes, this is my "day at the spa."

The days and nights of my youth roll into ball of recollection as I pass by the old neighborhood.  Tap, tap, my feet hit the pavement in sync with my rhythmic breathing. I see that little brown eyed blond  girl playing under the elm trees, and I wonder about her dreams- travel, adventure, stories, friendship.  Has she arrived? Always pushing, planning, plotting- playtime under the lilac trees, playtime on front yard diamond, playtime in her tattered running shoes.

I continue, passing by the flowers on Main Street.  A smile spreads across my lips.  I hear laughter.  The laughter of three girls watering the flowers and the father carrying the buckets and the wrench for the water spouts.  What a summer!  More laughter- two brown eyed blonds calling each  from the old phone booths- ice cream at Fernwoods, candy stops at Cowley Drug, and movies at the old theater. And then   I wonder, what every happened to old Power House, the old guy who always bought Lucky Strike cigarettes.  He will always be a mystery.

More dreams, more stories, more adventures... tap, tap, tap- the chocolate is gone but the sun is still shining!

No comments:

Post a Comment